Phone: (202) 638-1839
Scenic America is the only national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated solely to preserving and enhancing the visual character of America's communities and countryside. We accomplish this mission through national advocacy efforts and technical assistance services, local and national projects, and the support of our state affiliates. For a brief overview of our mission, click here to download a one-page PDF document.
Throughout the country, our most cherished scenic resources and hometown assets are being obscured by a blizzard of monstrous billboards, badly sited telecommunications towers, a tangle of overhead lines, and a hodgepodge of visual clutter. Open space is being lost. Our natural and cultural heritage is being buried under unconstrained development and poorly designed transportation systems.
America's beauty and community character are being obliterated by a steel curtain of visual spam.
But at Scenic America, we believe we have a choice about how we want to live.
- Reduce billboard blight in America
- Promote good community planning and design guidelines
- Keep America's highways and byways scenic
- Promote scenic easements for open space and scenic resource conservation
- Ensure mitigation of the visual impact of telecommunication towers
- Promote context sensitive highway solutions
- Promote tree conservation
- Promote undergrounding of overhead utility wires